Welcome to Alpacas of Ireland
Alpacas are a delight. They are a delight to see and enjoy, to work with and to care for. They are also, relatively new to Ireland. We brought in the first large breeding herd in 2001. So many people have not yet seen these wonderful animals “in the flesh”. Even seeing them on television or in pictures cannot prepare you for the delight of actually moving amongst them.
Come and visit.
Obviously we hope you will also buy, but we are happy to show you around and answer your questions whatever your reason for coming. If you wish you can also get more involved and come and spend time working with the animals, sharing in whatever activity is going on at the time.
Phone us to make arrangements.
Alpacas have a lot to offer rural – and not-so-rural – Ireland.
- eat less than sheep
- are low-maintenance
- protect lambs and poultry
- make excellent pets, safe around children
- can be run with most other birds and animals
- can be run on marginal or wet and peaty land,
- apply less than half the stress on the ground compared to sheep
- love standing and sitting in water and - and don’t suffer foot-rot
- need less land that sheep , 2 can be run in a (moderately large) back garden.
- eat rushes and other marsh plants as well as grass and a variety of broad leaves
In the following 'pages' you will
- Find more information about alpacas and their management
- have a variety of appealing photos to look at
- find examples of some of the many different alpacas we have for sale or at stud